About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

272 Steps and All Sorts of Monkeying Around

I have not taken a field trip since probably the semester I studied abroad in Rome, Italy and we would do day excursions. So, when I found out we had outings in place of our standard orientation presentations, I was like a little kid anticipating a field trip to the zoo. I was so curious about our upcoming little trips.

Half of our Fulbright group went to the National Mosque and Islamic Arts Museum on the first day, while the other half went to the Batu Caves and Hindu Shrine. On the second day, we switched.
I was in the group that went to the Batu Caves and Hindu Shrine on the first day, and the National Mosque and Islamic Arts Museum on the second day.

Honestly, I did not research on the Batu Caves or Hindu Shrine whatsoever before my group headed there. All I knew was that there were a bunch of stairs up the side of a mountain you had to climb up to get to the cave.

A look at the type of housing I saw on the way to Batu Caves
It was about a forty minute ride outside of the city, and as we weaved through the roads (on the left side of the road like the British do) I saw a great deal of Malaysian living quarters and housing. Currently Malaysia is striving to attain first world status by 2020. Although some areas of the immediate city are less developed than others, I did not understand why they put such an emphasis on this goal whose deadline is eight years from now. However, like I said, Kuala Lumpur is quite different than the rest of Malaysia, and this was even more apparent as we drove a bit on the outskirts of the city to arrive at the Batu Caves. There were housing and buildings unlike anything I had seen or experienced before. I actually hope to have the opportunity to get an inside look at these kinds of places rather than a view from the highway. I think it could be entirely eye-opening.

The Batu Caves were founded in 1879 by William Hornaday, an American explorer that trekked through Malaysia backed when it was solely thick jungle and brush. That fact alone immensely fascinates me, because before I came to Malaysia I received vaccines, such as Japanese Encephilitis, Rabies, Typhoid, Flu and some boosters. I also was advised how to get Malaria medicine when I am traveling. As I have travelers' diarrhea medicine on hand, bug repellant, proper hiking gear, mosquitos nets and my vaccines up-to-date, Hornaday did not have all these preventative health care measures. That alone fascinates me. How brave to literally go where no man had been before without information about the insects, the animals and the environment.  The caves are a towering limestone outcrop, hosting a small Hindu Shrine in the open space below.


Giant golden statue of Muruga


The first monkey I saw. It was over my head.
When we first arrived a huge golden statue of Muruga, also known as Lord Subramaniam, caught everyone’s eyes. The statue stands at the bottom of the 272 steps that lead up to the Batu Caves, and the caves are dedicated to Muruga. When we approached the base of the stairs that led to the cave, the next thing I noticed were not squirrels, but MONKEYS! Now, I have seen monkeys at the zoo, but this was something entirely different all together. They were hanging everywhere. Everywhere I looked there were monkeys. Honestly, monkeys, gorillas and oranatangs have always freaked me out, so this was like coming face first with fear, except there had to be hundreds of them. I felt like they were watching me, and as I conveyed my hesitation towards the monkeys, I was told, “get used to them. They will be all around where you are living.”

Apparently these monkeys can break into people’s houses, jump onto hikers’ backs to salvage food from their backpacks and be immensely distructive. And, that is why I got the rabies shot. 

Hindu Temple with man giving blessings
The peacock I saw! Look towards absolute center
of the picture. It is hiding behind some branches in
front of the red building.

We took off our shoes and entered the Hindu temple. I had been to Buddhist temples in South Korea, and I actually did a temple stay with my Aunt Donna and Aunt Gail for a night as well at a Buddhist temple in Korea. However, this was different. I definitely want to look into more of the dynamics involved with the Hindu religion as well as the Buddhist religion. The temple had gorgeous color and as I marveled at the beauty of the garden, my friend Davina pointed a real-life peacock out to me. It was unbelievable. Sometimes it’s hard to believe that animals you once admired at the zoo, are real animals in the wild somewhere else in the world. And, for the record, they are so much more admirable in the wild.


A picture looking up at the 272 steps to climb






We exited the temple, remembered to put on our shoes and headed up the 272 steps leading up to the cave. Coincidentally, as I was climbing the stairs, the tour group in front of me was Korean and speaking in Korean. “Anyoung haseyo” I said.

“Ahh…Hello. Hello,” they all said in excitement somewhat surprised.

Looking out at the view from the top of the stairs






I continued up the stairs and kept watch above the sparse tree branches above me to make sure there was no monkey business going on above me. My worst nightmare would be one jumping on my head. As I approached the top of the stairs, I looked out over the opening in the mountainous cliffs to see the KL skyline in the distance. It amazed me how quickly environments can change within a forty-minute time span.


The monkey eating the woman's food
I marched down into the huge cave. It certainly was huge with a few Hindu statues in the corners. However, there were monkeys everywhere and that definitely captivated more of my attention, especially when I witnessed a monkey run up to an Indian women, grab a bag out of her hand and eat the fruit inside. The woman and the man she was with just watched just as if there were no use in attempting to fight back, when all the monkey’s friends would come and attack probably. I know…I am exaggerating. But, still…it was freaky. When I got to the other side of the cave, I had to walk up another flight of stairs. The space between one stair rail to another was about two yards, and on the railing sat monkeys just keep tracking of all the many visitors and assessing what the visitors could have to offer them. Thank goodness I was empty handed besides some ringgit.

Monkeys hanging around everywhere




There were baby monkeys. Old monkeys. Little monkeys. Big monkeys. Jumping monkeys. Swinging monkeys. Bold monkeys. Curious monkeys. Funny monkeys. People think they are cute. I don’t get it. 

However, by the time I left, I had warmed up to them a bit. At least it’s a step in the right direction, as I will probably have to be acquainted with the fact that they will be my new “squirrels” for the next ten months. Obnoxious squirrels that is.

Another view from the top of the Batu Caves
Monkey and her baby. No this is not zoomed.
It was that close.
As we came down from the Batu Cave, we veered off to the right to somewhat less- trekked stairs leading to the “dark caves.” The dark caves are a huge area in the caves that people can hike and explore with an experienced guide. We only went to the base of the cave trail, but the man in charge of the cave trails explained what a cave expedition would entail; 8 hours, insect bats, plant bats, snakes (not poisonous), native spiders and the most interesting limestone in the world that was once entirely under water. For one to go through the 8 hour trek, they would have to walk, climb, slide, crawl through extremely tight spaces and swim. A few eyes in the crowd lit up when he explained it, and I was one of those people. It sounded like quite an adventure, but I think things like this would need to be taken step-by-step, so I will just hold off on that one for now.

Coconut stand
100 Plus = Delicious
Thosai with sauces!
After we descended the caves, a group of us went to a coconut stand and watched as the stall opener managed an enormous pile of coconuts and cut them open for people to drink out of. I tried a sip of someone’s and it was delicious. However, I wandered inside a little Indian restaurant instead and ordered Thosai with everyone, even though I had it the night before. Too quench my thirst I ordered a 100 plus ,which is a carbonated fruit flavored, sweet drink. It is not as heavy as pop, but not as light as juice.

Having dealt with my first round of monkey business and enjoying my second round of Indian food, I got on the bus feeling particularly happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment