About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Geographer


On our last Tuesday of Orientation, we took another field trip. However, this one was not in Kuala Lumpur, and was instead an excursion to Melaka.

Drinking teh tarik (tea with sugar and
condensed milk) at a rest stop. 
Melaka is a World Heritage Site of the world, and is a historical city. Melaka was originally a Portuguese settlement, and therefore, Melaka is quite different than KL. Melaka’s architecture looks drastically similar to the places I have seen in Europe such as Italy and France. The buildings were little and quant with bright colors.

On the boat with Nazeeha
(my orientation roommate)
and Christina (my soon to
be roommate in Besut for
the year)
Buildings with vivid colors along the river

When we arrived, a big group of us decided to take a riverboat cruise where we boated through the small town on a canal. The way the houses and buildings were situated around the river reminded me exponentially of Venice, Italy. In fact, the only aspect that differentiated it was the use of vivid colors on the facets of the buildings on the canal in Melaka.

It was a lovely day, and it allowed our group to unwind before departing on the 20th. To add, with the endless amount of cafes and eateries, we satiated some deep cravings such as American food. A group of us splurged and ordered fries, chicken sandwiches, pastas, iced coffee and ice cream at this little café called, “Geographer.” It actually is quite ironic because I read about Geographer in a travel book as a recommended place to eat. Thus, I wanted to at least buy a coffee from there while in Melaka. When my group was wandering and trying to find a spot to eat, we stumbled upon this adorable café without a truly noticeable sign or name. So, we went in because it looked comfortable and air conditioned (thank goodness… it was my hottest day yet in Malaysia). As we were handed the menus, my friends said, “Rachael, it’s the Geographer!”

The Geographer Cafe
The café had brick with green and red tones, as well as dark finished wood tables and chairs. Around us the windows were left open without a screen and instead some light flowing fabrics breezing slightly in the light wind. It reminded me of something from Disney World Adventure Land, except this was real life and a place that was not merely modeled that way.

A street in Melaka!
With some sun on my collarbones, sweat on my forehead and a Magnum ice Cream bar in my hand, I headed back to the bus to catch our ride back. The whole way back to KL I kept trying to envision what my town, house and school will be like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment