About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Dance to the Life of Cikgu Rachael

“Life’s a dance you learn as you go
 Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
 Don’t worry about what you don’t know
 Life’s a dance you learn as you go”
              -John Michael Montgomery


Throughout the last five weeks, I have been invested thoroughly and sincerely learning the moves to a new, vivid dance; the dance of my life as Cikgu (Teacher) Rachael in rural, Islamic Malaysia.

Although I have lived abroad before in both Rome and Seoul, my life has never been as different as it is now. Looking back to my time in Rome and Seoul, I realize how many little threads there were that kept me in touch and more grounded to my life in America, even while living in those cities overseas.

In Besut, Malaysia it is much more difficult to find and experience those threads. Although this creates an incredibly more challenging experience, it proposes and introduces many new opportunities for insight and growth.  Over the last six weeks, I have observed, I have been learning and I have been getting acquainted to the rhythm and movements to the new dance to my life as Cikgu Rachael, step-by-step. 



No comments:

Post a Comment