About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Monday, July 9, 2012

"Terima Kasih"


“Terima kasih” means thank you in Bahasa Malaysia!

And, a big “terima kasih” to you- all my friends, family, readers and supporters

Your unwavering support has allowed me to better spread my wings and fly while here. Of course, any experience in life comes with some high peaks, as well as some low valleys. You all have allowed me to navigate the successes as well as challenges that have I encountered while here.

A package from America! Whenever I receive a package or
letter, the principal puts it on my desk! Such a nice surprise!

Your words, emails, phone calls, skype dates, Facebook wall posts, letters, cards, pictures, support, prayers and kind thoughts have made all the difference to me. They definitely do not go unnoticed. Thank you for giving me the inspiration, strength, motivation and confidence to take on every new day here, as well as reminding me consistently that I have a lovely home and wonderful community to come home to in November. In fact, every piece of mail I receive goes on my "Happy Wall" in my bedroom, where I hang up every card, every letter and every photo I receive from home. It is the first thing I look at every morning when I awake, and last thing I look at every night before I go to sleep. In addition, every email I receive goes in my special "Happy" section within my email!

At the same time, I want to comment on the fact that I realize I am two months behind in my blog posts! No excuses, other than the fact that I was in complete “heaven” when my courageous and beautiful family came to visit me in June :)  In addition, sometimes I have a very difficult time finding the exact words to convey what I do here! However, it is my personal goal to keep my blog updated weekly throughout the four months ahead! So, continue to stay tuned and thanks for your support!

Thanks for joining me during the first six months of my Malaysian adventure, and I look forward to having you right there with me during the remaining four months.

See you all soon!

I always let my students look at the envelopes of the mail I get from home! They love to look at the stamps and see English addresses! It really thrills them and gets them excited to speak English! Here are two of my students with an envelope!

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Rachael.....Was so excited to see a posting on your blog. Check it every day. Love being able to hear about your journey thru this part of your life. We are all so proud of you. You are a very courageous young woman.
    Keeping you close to my heart. Love, Gramma

    ReplyDelete