About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

High Tea with the Prime Minister of Malaysia



Thursday, January 19th was our last official day of Orientation.

Thursday, January 19th was the day we also got to meet and have high tea with the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato' Sri Mohd Najib. 

We were sent word on Wednesday that the Prime Minister wanted to meet the 50 Fulbrigthers going to teach English in Malaysian schools. After all, the program was expanded from a State-level Fulbright Program in Terengganu to a Federal –level Fulbright Program that is now in Terengganu, Pahang and Johor. The expansion of the program was a direct result of a meeting that the Malaysian Prime Minister had with President Obama back in 2010 at an ASEAN conference in New York City.

The Prime Minister personally requested that President Obama send more ETAs to Malaysia in order for Malaysia to better achieve its goal of being ranked as a “Developed Nation” by 2020. Hence, now over a year later, I am a here as an ETA, as well as all other 49 ETAs because of that request. Needless to say, the Federal governments of both USA and Malaysia are more involved with this Fulbright Program than ever.

On January 19th after our orientation wrap-up, we headed out to Putra Jaya. Putra Jaya is home to all governmental buildings and about forty minutes outside of Kuala Lumpur. Meeting the Prime Minister was probably one of the more surreal events of my life.  After all, it is like meeting the President Obama of Malaysia, just that the Prime Minister does not lead my own nation.  However, he does lead my future students’ nation as well as my future community. Knowing that I as a foreigner and visitor to this country had the opportunity to meet Malaysia’s fine leader was an incredibly humbling experience.

Our Fulbright group assembled in a large banquet room at their head government building, which is like the White House of Malaysia. There was a ton of media taking pictures of all of us, and anticipating the arrival of the Prime Minister. In the meantime, Mr. Ambassador Paul W. Jones greeted us all once again and came around and reintroduced himself and shook each of our hands. Then, entered Deputy Prime Minister (who is like the Joe Biden (Vice President) of Malaysia). He also greeted us all and shook our hands saying how pleased he was to have us in Malaysia. After these two distinct individuals welcomed us, the commentator announced, “Ladies and Gentleman, please welcome the Honorable Prime Minister Dato' Sri Mohd Najib.”

We all stood in respect for the Prime Minister and he came around to each of us once again to say hello and welcome us to Malaysia. When I shook his hand, he asked me where I was headed, and I said, “Besut, Terengganu.”

He smiled and replied, “Beautiful place.”

That definitely made me smile.

The Prime Minister then addressed his guests as the media took an infinite number of photos, and Mr. Prime Minister explained the importance of our program. He also reemphasized the impact that we can make on our students and communities, and how we are helping to build bridges between the USA and Malaysia as cultural ambassadors.

Following the Prime Minister’s remarks, we enjoyed a fantastic dinner with fresh fruit, chicken and steak skewers, mini fajitas, rice cake, peanut dipping sauces, a corn pot pie as well as brownies and mini cheesecakes for dessert. And, a great cup of coffee.

As we ate, the Malaysian Secret Service stood close to our table to monitor the room. I could not believe my friends and I were in Malaysia having dinner and discussing Fulbright matters with the Prime Minister of Malaysia. All of us Fulbrighters had a fabulous time. More importantly, I think all of us left with even more of an understanding of how we came to be here and what we are capable of doing the next 10 months.

Fellow ETAs and I after High Tea
After a picture out on the steps in front of the government building with the Ambassador, we walked back to our buses. Excitement was buzzing and smiles were exchanged.

“Wow,” I thought to myself. “Did that just happen?” As with every experience I have had thus far during my time here in Malaysia, I am extremely humbled and sincerely appreciative of the opportunities available during my Fulbright here in Malaysia. 


Me with Olivia and Raymond, who
both work for MACEE.
Olivia was a 2011 Malaysia ETA.


Included below is a link from a conversation President Obama recently had with the Prime Minister. During the conversation, the importance of the Malaysia ETA program was highlighted. The conversation was one of many that directed resources and energy towards sending ETAs to Malaysia and this conversation is one of the many reasons I am here today.








https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=133c484061a9a5f9&mt=application/msword&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui%3D2%26ik%3De2859ea1d7%26view%3Datt%26th%3D133c484061a9a5f9%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbQJEAdg9Cylh3Ll_YSh3zSPqRWsLA&pli=1


No comments:

Post a Comment