About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Naperville to Seremban


Back in July, I searched around like a lunatic for a Malaysian tutor. Although we were not required to learn the language to pursue a Fulbright here in Malaysia, I wanted to learn some basic language skills before entering the country to teach English. I believe it is more encouraging for others to learn your language, if you have made an attempt to learn theirs. After searching and searching, I decided to email the Malaysian Club of Chicago one evening. The next morning I got a phone call from Parvathy (Para), the wife of one of the leaders of the Malaysian club. She was so kind, and told me that she would be happy to teach me Malaysian. Para was from Malaysia, and her family still lived there as well as her two- year old son. However, her husband’s job took him to Chicago, so she had been splitting her time between the two places.

Soon enough, my time at home this past summer consisted of one afternoon a week at Para’s home in Naperville, which was only about forty minutes from my home. Beyond learning the basics of Bahasa Malaysia, she taught me about the culture, and her and her husband even hosted my parents and I one night for dinner.

The flower's outside Para's home
Para recently moved back to Seremban, Malaysia, which is about 40 minutes outside of Kuala Lumpur. Therefore, I have yet another familiar face in an unfamiliar place. Her and her family invited me to come spend the day with them in Seremban. On Sunday morning, Para and her niece Tam picked me up in KL and brought me to their beautiful home.

It was so nice to be in a home with a family after being in a hotel for two weeks. It was also nice to experience a bit of Indian culture in Malaysia, as her family is Indian and Hindu. I was introduced to the family, and they welcomed me in with open arms. The home was a beautiful, white concrete house with a swinging bench in front. Inside, it was an open layout, ideal for catching the cool breeze on those warm days as well as letting the bright sunlight illuminate the home.

My Indian food in a big banana leaf
After meeting the family, Para, Tam, Meena (Para’s sister) and Sashween (Para’s adorable two year old son) headed to eat lunch at an Indian restaurant. As I was outside KL, there were many stares and curious looks probably wondering about how in the world a young American woman came to be in Seremban with an Indian family. At the restaurant, Meena helped me put rice, different curries, and some fish on a banana leaf. The banana leaf is used as a plate of sorts sometimes and it can actually be eaten. People here swear that food tastes better on a banana leaf. I sat down to eat and they showed me how to eat with my right hand properly. For some reason, I was nervous, probably from the many people looking at me as I struggled to eat neatly with my hand. Meanwhile, Sashween was unsure about me and therefore, acting a little malu (shy).

The lunch was full of flavor, but it was far too much food to eat especially when I was attracting a lot of attention. From lunch, we wandered over to a lovely little Catholic Church in Seremban. The inside of the church, like Malaysian homes, was simple and open. I said a little prayer, and headed out to the courtyard where there was a little grotto. I looked at the statue of Mother Mary, put a hand to my heart and was brought back to the many nights at the Notre Dame Grotto with my Saint Mary’s friends where we would pray, think and talk. Yet again, a familiar feeling in an unfamiliar place, for this was the first Catholic Church I saw here in Malaysia.

A fifteen-minute ride and we were in Meena’s village. Their mother also lives with Meena, so we decided to stop by and visit. At Meena’s home I was able to meet her mother who sat peacefully in her sari. I was immediately summoned into Meena’s room where Para and Meena offered me clothing options. Para gave me a beautiful gold colored kurta (long Indian shirt) with glitter and light lace. Meena gave me a bright, blue gorgeous kurta with sequins and beads. I could not wait until I had the opportunity to wear these. In addition, they offered me calendars and asked me about how I liked Malaysia so far.

Tombi dan Aka
Para's son and I
By the time I got out of the room from trying on my new clothes, Sashween decided that I was not scary anymore and immediately warmed up to me. He started calling me “Aka,” which means “big sister” in Temmel (South India language) and so Para told me I could call him “Tombi” which means “little brother.” He was so excited when I started calling him that. For the rest of the afternoon, he wanted to hold my hand and whenever I left the room he would cry.

Para, her son and I in front of the gorgeous
sunset
After making the rounds and meeting the family members, Para and her two sisters took Sashween and I to their local beach at Port Dickson. We made it there just in time for sunset. I have to say, the ocean looked beautiful that night. I have seen the ocean before, but there was something about this specific sunset on a beach in Malaysia that made me completely awe struck. The pink, blue and purple colors faded together, and different shadows of boats and people were created with every seemingly downward motion of the sun. It was miraculous. If it is this miraculous in a city area, I cannot wait to see what ocean view awaits in rural Terengganu.

The beautiful sunset over the ocean!


In that moment, I was so thankful. I was thankful that I pursued getting Bahasa Malaysia lessons and I was happy that I put myself out there last July. Without putting myself out there and seeking opportunities for what I thought was important, and without those lovely Malaysian afternoons in Naperville, I would not have been standing on a far off beach outside Seremban with a welcoming family.

I look forward to visiting them again! Terima kasih! Jumpa Lagi!

No comments:

Post a Comment