About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Phone Call followed by Seven Months


It is hard to believe how quickly the time has passed since the day I found out I earned a Fulbright Scholarship to Malaysia.

It was a Friday, in early June 2011 about two weeks after my college graduation, and the 1996 green Volvo I drive had been checked out by the mechanic and I had numerous boxes packed and some even loaded into my hearty, reliable car. But, these boxes were not an attempt to begin packing for Malaysia seven months early in over anticipation. Rather, these boxes were for my sought after and planned out move to Arkansas to serve with Teach for America in the Mississippi Delta for two years. I was expected to be in Arkansas on Monday, and therefore, I was leaving on Saturday, the next day.

That is until I received an email and followed-up with the Institute of International Education to discover that I was indeed selected for a Fulbright Scholarship to Malaysia.  I obviously had a decision to make, and I needed to make it by the close of that day. I could either fulfill my two-year commitment to Teach for America in the Mississippi Delta or seize the opportunity to embark on a Fulbright Scholarship to Malaysia. It was the hardest decision I have made thus far in my life, but thanks to the support of my family, friends and mentors, I decided to pursue the ETA position with Malaysia. Although I had no knowledge of Malaysia, besides the fact that it was in Southeast Asia and adjacent to Singapore, I knew deep down that this opportunity would best align ME with MY passions and MY goals in life.

My biggest concern was having seven months of “down time” before departing for Malaysia in January 2012. However, I ended up enjoying my seven months at home with my whole heart, and it definitely was not "down time."  I loved my time at home with my family and in my own room. I loved knowing every detail of what the “Chesley’s were up too” instead of hearing it via text and phone calls. I loved reconnecting with friends from childhood and high school. I loved having time to reconnect with my roots. By the time January 2nd came, I had a very tough time saying “see you later” to the people, home and place I love. My time at home was filled with rich experiences, irreplaceable memories and great fun. During my seven months, I worked for my aunt during the summer months and then earned two part-time internships with U.S. Senator Mark Kirk in his Chicago Office, as well as a fantastic internship with State Representative Renee Kosel. In addition, I took on a position with my dear friend and mentor, Lauren, for her newly established company. Moreover, I joined a SpinClub where I met awesome people, had fabulous, challenging workouts and took time to focus on my health after four years of less healthy routines and all-nighters during college.

Everything does happen for a reason.

And, now, after those fantastic seven months at home embarking on a geographically closer, yet equally as rich, journey, I am happy to say, I am in Malaysia in the initial stages of my Fulbright journey. 

1 comment:

  1. Am so looking forward to hearing about the rest of the journey. Love gramma

    ReplyDelete