About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Significance of the Title "Take It With You When You Go"

In September 2010, I came home a Friday afternoon from college for the weekend of my sister’s Homecoming. On that Friday night, before heading to the local high school Homecoming football game with my parents, I strategically worked at a fast-pace to complete my personal statement for Teach for America, a national teaching corps for low-income, high-poverty schools across the United States. It was an organization I strongly considered being part of, was accepted to and planned on pursuing after graduation until I was awarded my Fulbright Scholarship.

All week while working on my application, I had not been able to convey on paper exactly what I wanted to say and I could not put into words why I wanted to be part of this well-known, honorable organization. Finally, at home, as I sat squinting at the computer screen and anxiously trying to get my words down into the essay box for the online application, I strived to make the 7pm deadline. That’s when my mom introduced me to an analogy that I ended up expanding upon in my personal statement and an analogy I continue think about today.

Each individual has a tool- box and we obtain the tools in our tool- box from experiences we have had and through people that have invested in our lives and well-being.

I am incredibly grateful for my tool- box.

Since I was little, I have been raised by parents who have encouraged me to try new things and to challenge myself, while providing me the comfort of a home in which to lean on and turn towards. I have incredible siblings who have added so much love and energy to every moment of my life and who I see as my best friends. I have immediate and extended family, rich in experiences, personalities and interests who support one another, encourage one another and take an interest in one another, allowing every individual to believe in their abilities. I have the absolute best network of friends and family friends who stand by one another, whether near or far, and who are the most loyal, steadfast, fun and thought-provoking people I know. I have a community with a small-town feel where I grew up, played little league softball and soccer, got ice cream from the local soft serve joint, learned to drive and always look forward to coming back to. I have a high school degree from Lincoln-Way Central High School, which I believe is the best high school I could have ever and would ever dream of, filled with ample opportunities to be involved and excellent educators. I have not only a college degree, but a rich college experience from Saint Mary’s College of Notre Dame where I was continually challenged to set higher goals and explore my passions both on campus and abroad in Rome, Italy and Seoul, South Korea. Individuals in my life have given me the confidence to believe in myself, whether it was a two-year summer internship with benefit services, studying abroad or taking on a leadership position as Student Body President.

No matter where you go or what you do, these people, places, experiences and lessons-learned are never left behind. You carry them in your toolbox, they guide you to new discoveries and you continually build upon them.

Thank you to all my parents, siblings, friends, family, teachers and mentors, as well as my home and college communities both in South Bend and abroad. I hold you all near and dear to my heart. Your love, your inspiration and the lessons you have taught me have played a part in leading me to this Fulbright Scholarship in Malaysia. I immensely appreciate your support and encouragement. You are my rock, and I cannot wait to share my experience with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment