About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Friday, January 4, 2013

The Biggest Light I've Ever Seen



My family and I with the KHAS students and teachers during their visit to SMK PNZ!
Back when I first arrived in Besut, Malaysia, I was given a tour of my school. As we walked through the exposed hallways, children waved, shouted and pointed. They were obviously shocked to see a foreigner walking through their hallways. All in all, I suppose it was quite different than I expected and in my head I started thinking, “I wonder how this is going to go…” No matter, I remained positive.

As we concluded our tour, we walked past three classrooms with bright, colorful bulletin boards that said, “KHAS.” The welcoming bulletin boards and cute decorations caught my attention. 

KHAS Standout 16- year old Students!
“Apa ini?” (“What is that?”)  I asked my mentor, Halilah.
“This is KHAS class,” she replied.
“Apa ini?” I asked again unsure of what KHAS meant.
“This is for special students. Students with disabilities,” she answered.

“Oh!” I said surprised that a school in my village would even have such a program. In certain parts of Asia, special education programs are still a new concept. In fact, in many Asian countries, they do not even exist.

Halilah went on to explain that only certain
One of my 17-year old students. His smile and
pure curiosity always put a smile on my face!
schools in Malaysia have special education
programs, and I was astounded to realize that my assigned school was one of these.

“Can we go in?” I asked Halilah. She seemed surprised, but led me in.

As we walked in, the students smiled and some waved. The KHAS teachers immediately came up and greeted me with warm embraces and smiles. Only one of the teachers, Jamaliah, in KHAS could speak some English, so she went on to explain their classes to me.

After a 45 minute tour and interacting with the teachers, I looked at the 15 plus students. Perhaps it was their curious demeanor or their kind eyes that captured my heart, but I immediately asked, “Can I work with your students? I could come once a week and do songs with actions or color. I could just help in your classes."

KHAS male students receiving an award for their
accomplishments during the school year.
Photo: Courtesy of SMK PNZ

Students doing a drama!

They looked at me, once again surprised. “But, Miss Rachael they know no English,” they explained.

“I’ll make it work,” I exclaimed.

From that moment on, I went to the KHAS class for forty-minutes, once a week to do songs with them. Although I did converse a bit in Malay with them to build a connection, we did the songs in English. We did the Hokey Pokey, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, This Little Light of Mine, I’m a Little Tea Pot and Itsy Bitsy Spider.

A few teachers and I before the performance at Teacher's
Day! 
KHAS students doing a song performance!

With relentless repitition over weeks and months, the students were able to catch onto the words and the corresponding actions. Even better, the six KHAS teachers were so eager to help me and participate. We became something of a big team. Together we helped students do the actions and form the words with enthusiasm and energy. The KHAS teachers even helped me teach the students high fives for girls and air fives for boys, as well as how to say, "Hello. How are you?" in English and "See you later!" 

The students practicing for their skit!













Hands down, Hokey Pokey was the students' favorite song. Beyond just the songs, I built such a strong relationship with the KHAS students and the teachers. Even when I did not have class, I would go to the KHAS classrooms to have tea, converse and hang out with the teachers, who became dear friends.When my family came to visit, the KHAS group through somewhat of a little party for them and my family even did the Hokey Pokey with the students. When my friend Frannie came, she met and sang with the students too! In May, I even participated in the KHAS class's drama skit for the annual Teachers' Day held nationwide in Malaysia. 

The students loved stickers! Whenever
my lovely family members would send
stickers from America, the students
 would become so excited!

Honestly, I was never able to have even a partial verbal conversation with any of the KHAS students, but through singing, moving, laughing, coloring, sharing stickers from America and playing, I built a friendship with each of those students. By June, when I would see them in the hall, the girls would give me huge hugs and the boys would give me the legendary “air five” that I taught them. As for the KHAS teachers, I enjoyed several lunches with them every week and that little corner of the school on the first floor became “my place.” It was a place where I felt comfortable and moved each and every day. This set of three little yet vibrant classrooms of so small in the comparison to the world, but yet they shine one of the biggest lights I have ever seen.

Thinking back to my last day at school when I went to KHAS to say “Jumpa lagi (meet again),” it brings tears to my eyes. As I said farewell, I was not even sure if they understood that I was not returning for the next school year. Those students’ smiles, giggles and laughter bring sheer, pure happiness to my heart. In fact, whenever I hear Hokey Pokey, I will surely be thinking of them!

The KHAS teachers and my family. The KHAS community showed my family
quite a welcoming embrace!

No comments:

Post a Comment