About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Banagrams, stickers and pictures... Oh my!



The daily Banagram group!
My Ultras Redside Chicago Fire
Soccer Team scarf and my old
Chicago Magic soccer jersey!
Litte things proved to be incredibly
useful with my students!
This past year I learned the importance of finding inspiration and wonder in the small things. The three greatest resources that I used with my students this year were Banagrams, stickers and pictures! These three items never failed when it came to entertaining and encouraging my students to speak English.

Practically everyday, I had a group of six Form 1 boys that would come to my desk and curiously look around. I always knew what they were looking for – Banagrams.

“Teacher, where Banagrams?” they would asked.
“Do you want to play?” I would respond.
“Yes!” they shouted in excitement.

Making dominoes with the letter
pieces!
For twenty to forty minutes, the boys would crowd around my small desk and make sentences and words with the little blocks. Little did they know that while they were constructing the pieces into words and sentences, they were learning English. Of course, after several weeks of making words with the pieces, they got a better idea – Banagram dominoes. So, after creating some words, I would let them form a domino chain around my desk. I am not sure if the other teachers appreciated that, but for me, it allowed the students to open up to me. As we played games at my desk, they would magically start talking without hesitation.

A finished Banagram domino sequence!
In addition to Banagrams, stickers and pictures always interested my students. In fact, more than a few times, I received generous care packages from home that contained stickers. I would walk around the school and hand the stickers out to students who would say, “Hello!” to me or “Hi, Teacher!” Of course, word would get around. Before I knew it, students would be running all around the school trying to find me to say something in English and get a sticker. Sticker days were some of my most favorite days!

In class, pictures were incredible resources. Pictures really allowed my students to open up their eyes to my life back home. I would show them pictures of my family and friends, and I even brought in a picture of me with my high school soccer team!

“Teacher, you play football?” many of the students would ask.
“Yes, but in America we call it soccer.” I would explain.
“Oh…” they would comment hesitantly.

My students and I with stickers!
Part of my sticker collection -
thank you to my family and friends!
Whether it was pictures of America, my home, my family or my friends, the pictures allowed them to get to know me. To add, the pictures would bring about many questions, and there was no way for the students to gain answers to their questions without asking me in English!

Through my experience teaching, I have learned the importance of simplicity and creativity when teaching English abroad. Banagrams, pictures and stickers were so simple, yet so useful! 



My Form 4 students with some of my special things: high school soccer photo, Chicago Fire scarf, my Singapore 16K running bib and medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment