About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Track and Field - Malaysia Style





Although I started several new projects and clubs at SMK Permaisuri Nur Zahirah, I also became involved with previously existing groups at my school. In March, I helped coach the school track team for their district meet, and in April, I coached the school’s choral speaking group.

In America, track teams train for months on end and compete in multiple meets and tournaments over the course of several months. In contrast, in Malaysia, students train for approximately two months for one, four-day district meet. Then, the track season is over.

When the male track coaches discovered that I was athletic and liked to run, they reached out to me to help coach the team. I was absolutely thrilled. At this point, I had only been at the school for about seven weeks and the students were still intimidated by me. However, at the track meet I simply hung out with the athletes, spoke to them in English and Malay and encouraged them.

Team huddle after the meet! Of
course, it was in Malay, but I
got the gist of it!

Four days on a track, in the heat of the Malaysian sun was tough. In fact, I am pretty sure I sweated out my body weight. However, it was so interesting to compare and contrast track and field in Malaysia versus America. For instance, Malaysia’s high school track teams do not have pole vaulting, but they do have speed walking. I was in awe as I witnessed over thirty students speed walk sixty laps around the track in the heat of the day. In addition, another aspect of Malaysian track and field that caught me by surprise was that many track athletes choose not to wear their shoes. They have them but simply choose to compete without them.

It was a fun few days of running in the sun. Although I finished the week with some rough sunburn and a particularly sweaty wardrobe, it was one heck of a memory. And, the team even presented me with a team polo during awards on the closing day of the meet!

Way to go SMK PNZ!

The SMK PNZ Track and Field team!
We walked away with quite a few medals, and I got an official
team polo!


The girls' relay team!


The athletes hanging out after an event!
Team huddle on the track in the bright sunlight!

Hanging out under our SMK PNZ tent!

No comments:

Post a Comment