About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Getting Where You Want To Go




The SMK PNZ Choral Speaking team performing their prose entitled
"Getting Where You Want To Go."
Choral speaking consists of a group of 30 to 35 students speaking in unison. In essence, it is a speaking ensemble in which a group often uses various voice combinations and contrasts to bring out the meaning or tone of a passage of poetry or prose. It is a well-known art and activity in Malaysia, and students striving to learn and master English often join their school's choral speaking team. It is highly competitive, and it takes a great deal of dedication, patience and practice.

An English teacher approached me in late February and said, “Cikgu Rachael, so...you coach choral speaking this year?” I looked at him quite confused, which was a common occurrence in the early days of teaching at PNZ.

“Um… what is that?” I asked. He tried to explain in English, but, I must admit, that I was quite uncertain about what it entailed. But, never mind, I responded and said, “Of course I will.”

The Form 5 SMK PNZ performers!
He went onto explain that I needed to compose lyrics for the group and that practice would begin in March. Thus, it was no surprise that I spent that night searching Google like a mad woman trying to figure out what the art of choral speaking entailed and what lyrics needed to consist of. 

Within a few days, I composed four pages of lyrics, successfully titled them and presented them back to the teacher. Several weeks later, we hosted try-outs, chose students and began practicing. Although I was the coach, I was definitely learning as we went along. Choral speaking was immensely new and different to me, so as the students learned new words and  sayings from the lyrics, I was learning the art in itself.

Form 3 performers and I!
My roommate, Nina, and I after the competition.
Nina's school competed as well!
In late April, the competition was held and our school was chosen to perform first! The students were extremely nervous. However, after a group pep talk, they took the stage with their heads held high. As they performed on stage in unison, I beamed. I was so immensely proud of them. It was not long before at our first practice that they had struggled with pronunciation and tone. During the competition, they pronounced the words fluently and spoke with incredible inclination and voice.

The lyrics of the prose I composed were entitled “Getting Where You Want to Go.” All in all, it was about believing in oneself and staying true to one’s dreams. I wrote it as a way to set a positive tone for the remainder of the year! In fact, several of the lines became quite infamous around the school and students used them as inspirational quotes in their classrooms!

I am so proud of you, SMK PNZ Choral Speaking! 

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Dress rehearsal. The girl who is standing on the chair is known as the conductor.

No comments:

Post a Comment