About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A New World: Adventures in Scuba Diving


Our Padi Open Water Diver team sporting some of the scuba signals.
Left to right: ETAs Owen & Kate, Paul from Great Britain, our instructor Hugo
and ETAs me & Julie.
Quiver Dive Center, Coral Bay
Perhentian Island Kecil
In March 2012, I had the wonderful opportunity to earn my Padi Open Water Diver certification. Myself, as well as three of my friends, set out to the Perhentian Islands for a three-day course! Our instructors at Quiver Divers Coral Bay on Perhentian Kecil were excellent. While we enjoyed learning the basics of scuba, we also enjoyed getting to know new people. We met Paul from Great Britain who was in our course, as well as Hugo, our scuba dive instructor from Spain. For three days, we watched videos, studied scuba logistics, descended deep underwater, explored the South China Sea, hung out at the dive center and ate toast with cream cheese. It was a blast! I learned a new skill and hobby, and I also was able to check something off my bucket list – learn how to scuba dive. I learned how to dive at the Perhentian Islands, but I was also able to dive in Boracay, Philippines.

In the water with our gear on before our first class started!
Romantic Beach, Coral Bay, Perhentian Islands
 Friend and fellow ETA, Julie, and I on the boat before our dive!
Boracay, Philippines
Learning how to scuba dive was not only exhilarating, but it allowed me access to a whole new world- the underwater world. And, believe me, it was worth it. I will continue to be amazed by the vividly orange clown fish (Nemo), the ample pink and purple coral and the bright environment full of rich colors and so much life. Overall, although descending deep underwater with scuba equipment was nerve racking at first, it actually became a hobby that allowed me so much relaxation and awe. I learned the importance of remaining calm under pressure and not over reacting to situations. Under water, I needed to listen to my body and slowly descend while putting trust into my equipment. As I glided through the underwater world,  I needed to be aware of my movements and yet gentle at the same time. Overreacting or too much movement would suck up oxygen and make it more difficult to descend comfortably. Scuba diving may be a great hobby, but it is also a great lesson in how to calmly and proactively react to situations. I cannot wait to see what underwater world I will experience next! 


Lapu Lapu Dive Center
Boracay, Philippines
Posing in front of the dive map before we went on
our adventure dive!
Coral Bay, Perhentian Islands.
I am so blessed to have learned to dive in my little corner of Paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment