About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Journey Along Route 3


Map of Terengganu, Malaysia. If you look on the far east coast line of Terengganu,
you will see a red line right along the South China Sea indicating Route 3.
Route 3 allowed the other Terengganu ETAs and I to stay well-connected, as well as explore
the mainland and islands. At the far north is Besut. In the central is Kuala Terengganu. Far south is Kemaman.
Photo: Google maps

Typical view while driving along Route 3. 

Route 3 is the largest road that runs down the eastern coast of Peninsular Malaysia. To be exact, the highway starts in Kelantan (the northern most state of Malaysia) and runs down to Johor Bharu, a large city in Johor, which is near Singapore.

Route 3 was near and dear to the Terengganu ETAs’ hearts, because it allowed us all to stay very well connected despite the miles that separated most of us. The Fulbright ETAs were placed in districts that extended down the coast, and Route 3 allowed us to drive and/or take bus trips from one place to another. Route 3 connected Christina, Michael and I in Besut to Jordan and Nick in Setiu, to Hannah, Nazeeha, Chelsea and Jonathan in Kuala Terengganu and Julie and Marquitta in Marang down to Kamayani, Katie and Kate in Dungun and finally to Melissa and Morgan in Kemaman. To give you an idea, to travel from Besut in northern Terengganu to Kemaman in the south took about 5-6 hours.

Melissa, Michael, Jonathan and I with the Malaysian
McDonald's clown. I've always thought that he was
a creepy guy, but it was elevated when he started speaking
in a heavy Australian accent with creepy faces.
I always looked forward to the quick trips down Route 3 to visit friends in other places. I especially looked forward to spending time with my fellow friends. A ride down Route 3 passed through beautiful mountains, interesting ‘kampung’ (villages), beautiful coastline and even one McDonalds, which was a big treat at the time.

Ironically, one of my favorite memories of Route 3 was in February, at the beginning of our Fulbright experience. Nick and Jordan’s landlord was nice enough to offer them an SUV to use, so Christina and I piled in and we headed to Kemaman to meet up with other ETAs. On the return journey from Kemaman, we stopped at McDonalds to enjoy one last bite of somewhat American cuisine before heading back to our villages in the north. When we went to start the car after enjoying our meals, it would not start. In addition, we could not get in touch with any of our mentors and contacts in Malaysia. So, Jordan and I quickly searched for some sign of a car or insurance book in the vehicle. I had never had vehicle issues in USA, let alone abroad before.  I found a number to call and tried to explain in Malay that we were stuck and still had a three- hour drive ahead of us. No luck. I wondered what I would do about school the following morning, and I wondered how the heck we were going to make it back. Eventually, Jordan and Nick’s landlord called a friend of a friend of a friend in the area, who showed up in the parking lot to provide help. Although a few hours behind schedule, we did make it back. But honestly, I could not help but laugh. Never did I think I would be stranded in a McDonald’s parking lot in Malaysia calling a Malaysian automobile company for car support.

The group together in Cherating, Pahang, Malaysia.
It was accessible by Route 3 through Kemaman in
southern Terengganu. Cherating even had a bar called
Litte Bali and we were able to wear our sundresses and
t-shirts!
The bumps, curves, straight-ways and memories of the one and only Route 3 allowed us to build strong friendships, camaraderie and a solid support system. Many of our weekends in Malaysia were filled with little road trips down the coastline, visiting one another, gathering together as a group and enjoying each other’s company. Those were probably some of my favorite memories from my time in Malaysia!

 After months of
food that bore no resemblance
to American cuisine,
McDonald's was a treat.


The view from Kemaman, Terengganu in the south.
Cherating, Pahang, Malaysia.
This is a restaurant on the beach there.
It is accessible by Route 3.
Northern Terengganu near Besut. 6 hours south from here
were Kemaman and Cherating, Malaysia. (as shown above)
Melissa and I (with my sunburn) relaxing on the
Perhentians together.
Walking along the shore of Kapas Island. It was
as if we had a private island.
The lodge that ETAs stayed in while on Kapas Island.
It was always a great place to catch some shut-eye and chat.
Christina, Kamayani and I got enthusiastic about nuts
we found in Chinatown, Kuala Terengganu.

Jonathan, Kamayani and I! We loved snorkeling and
swimming in the South China Sea!

The Terengganu ETAs hanging out at me and Christina's
house in Besut. And no, the TV didn't work.  We spent our nights
together on the mainland simply hanging out and chatting.
Terengganu ETAs getting creative in
me and Christina's kitchen. Julie made
mac n' cheese, with Velveeta cheese
sent to her from America, and Michael
made beans!
Christina and I had a neat watermelon ball. To pass time
together, we sometimes played games in my house. Here,
Jordan, Jonathan, Hafiz, Nick and I were playing four square.
It is remarkable how one can keep herself/himself entertained.
One of the many road trips in the SUV with Nick and Jordan.
Sometimes, I got stuck sitting in the back. 
Marquitta, Morgan, Christina and I nice and cozy in
the SUV! It would become quite hot at points along
the journey.
After not seeing each other for a while, it was always
nice to be reunited with one another!
The female ETAs hanging out around the fire on Kapas Island. 
Route 3 allowed Terengganu ETAs to access the Perhentian
Islands in Besut (north), as well as Kapas Island near
Kuala Terengganu. (central) The islands were a great place
to unwind and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment