About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Monday, January 14, 2013

My Little Corner of Paradise



The clear blue water of Pulau Perhentian. It was ideal for snorkeling
and scuba diving.

Enjoying a fresh coconut!
As I mentioned in my last blog post, Besut, Kuala Besut was the jumping-off point for Pulau Perhentian. Although many Americans have not heard of Pulau Perhentian, or the Perhentian Islands, it is a very popular vacation destination among Europeans. Pulau Perhentian is known for its white, sandy beaches, its beautiful, crystal blue water and its rustic feel. Not to mention, it is renown for its scuba diving and snorkeling, which I took advantage of on many different occasions.

The beach and dock at Coral Bay!












During my stint living in Besut, I ventured out to Pulau Perhentian at least a dozen times. Throughout my visits, I got to know the people there very well, and it became sincerely comfortable to go there. It was a place that made me feel very much at home as well as relaxed. Sometimes after adapting to a culture so different than my own on the mainland, it was comforting to put on a sundress, layout, swim in the clear, blue water and hang out with friends drinking a Tiger or Chang beer on the beach. Overall, the feel of the island was rustic, yet so seemingly familiar.

Amin, Wan and a guest singer at Monkey Bar on Long Beach!

Mama D and I at Ombak Cafe
on Coral Bay, Pulau.

Mila, Norlin and I at Ombak Cafe!











My favorite restaurant on the island was Ombak Café, and I was able to get to know Mama D, Mila and the entire crew there. I remember weekends biting into their delicious pizzas, while watching a live, outdoor movie. They always greeted me with hugs, and we would converse about the last few weeks since I had last seen them. During the day, I loved going to Panorama restaurant and sipping on one of their cold, fresh mango juices or sipping milk out of a coconut. When the sun went down, I always could be found sitting in the sand with my friends listening to Amin, Wan and the gang play live cover music of popular Western music, including Jason Mraz and Bob Marley. After listening to music, my friends and I would wander on down the beach to Black Tip and dance under the moon with our toes in the sand and the waves rushing over our feet.

The long dock from the boat to
Coral Bay beach on Pulau.
Whenever I ventured to Pulau, I always enjoyed getting off the boat and walking down the long dock to Coral Bay. I would say “hello” to my friends at Sharila Resort such as Rosi, Faizul and Emily, as well as Iss and Jeremiah at Stephens Divers. I will never forget sharing some of my stories and questions from my experience on the mainland and being able to have truly meaningful and comfortable conversations with them.

Pulau Perhentian introduced me to the warm sun, scuba diving, tranquility, simplicity, underwater discoveries and immense beauty. Often, I swam and floated in the clear water at Long Beach and looked out at the mountains and vast jungle that spread over them. I would think about my experience in Malaysia as well as my life back home.

Pulau's rustic feel was unlike anywhere
I had ever been!
My last ride from the Pulau Perhentian to the mainland was one filled of tears and happiness. In some way, whether big or small, Pulau and the people there allowed me such peace, comfort and friendship. I considered it ‘my place.' Over the course of my visits there, it became a place that allowed me insight to myself. Pulau Perhentian will always be my little corner of Paradise. 


Entrance to Panorama chalet and restaurant!
A little cafe on Long Beach, Pulau.
Panorama restaurant! Huge monitor lizards could often
be seen climbing the trees around here!
During high tide season, people can be seen surfing on Long Beach.
The peaceful water during low tide season.
The boat ride to Pulau Perhentian.
Coral Bay, Pulau Perhentian. View from the long dock.
Jonathan, Michael and I enjoying
the moonlight and sand on Long Beach!
Christina, Melissa and I relaxing on the beach!
The sunset over Long Beach, Pulau.
The sunset over Coral Bay, Romantic Beach. 
The Terengganu female ETAs having a girls' night
during our final trip to Pulau Perhentian.
Saying 'jumpa lagi' to Pulau Perhentian as the boat
pulled away from my Paradise.
Christina and I enjoyed a juice in the warm sun!
The view from a chalet on top of the mountain on Long Beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment