About Me

My photo
Hello, Ciao,안녕하세요, Hallo, Hola, Selamat tengahari! My name is Rachael and I am a travel enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, my parents have taken my brother, sister and I on good ol' American road trips. It's safe to say that was where my interest in new places, people and experiences was ignited. As my parents always encouraged my siblings and I to explore and ask questions, I developed a sincere curiosity for new adventures. In addition to seeing much of the United States with my favorite travel companions (my family), I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome, Italy, as well as a semester in Seoul, South Korea during my college career. Now, I am honored to be taking part in a Fulbright ETA Scholarship to Malaysia for a year! My family's favorite motto is "Life is all about the journey, not the destination." I invite you to join along in my journey of cultural exchange and mutual understanding in Malaysia! After all, the more, the merrier.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Ramadan & Hari Raya Puasa



Female students and I enjoying our
beautiful Hari Raya clothes!
Hari Raya Puasa is an important occasion that is celebrated by Muslims all over the world. The festival marks the end of one month of fasting, known as Ramadan.

Ramadan is a one-month fasting periods in which Muslims fast from sun-up to sun-down. This often can be up to a period of 12 hours. Apart from eating and drinking, Muslims are also forbidden from smoking and having intimate relations. In addition, Muslims are expected to avoid lying, breaking promises and cheating during this time. Ultimately, Ramadan is a time of self-control in which Muslims must concentrate on submitting to their holy one, Allah.


My local Bazaar Ramadan in Besut!
During Ramadan, Bazaar Ramadans are seen throughout Islamic communities. In general, a Bazaar Ramadan is a huge open market with many varieties of food, snacks and gifts. Muslims come to these special markets to purchase foods for the large meals they enjoy after the sunset. (Usually after 7:15pm) During the month, Muslims also purchase and collect food for their large Hari Raya celebrations. (Similar to how my family starts purchasing gifts as well as items for our big Christmas dinner weeks before the dinner
itself). The Bazaar Ramadans were definitely an experience. As I was wandered through the long stretches of my local Bazaar Ramadan in Besut, I was often captivated by the many colorful foods, exotic smells and ambitious shoppers who meandered from stall to stall.


Form 4 girls and I enjoying each other's company at
the Hari Raya celebration.
At the conclusion of Ramadan, Muslims break the fast (puasa) with Hari Raya Puasa. To prepare for Hari Raya Puasa, the women start to sew new curtains as well as new baju karungs and baju melayus. In my teachers’ room at school, there were stacks of beautiful fabrics and complementary pins that were ideal for creating a new garment. On the morning of Hari Raya Puasa, Muslims wear their new clothes and go to the mosque to pray. First, they offer thanks to Allah. Then, they ask for forgiveness from their elders.

Asking forgiveness from elders is essential for the young ones. In fact, I received several “Selamat Hari Raya” (Happy Hari Raya) cards from my students that asked for my forgiveness for their mistakes on homework and behavior in class. The cards I did receive were from my most well behaved students too, ironically. For Hari Raya Puasa, homes are filled with wide varieties of spicy dishes. The Muslim children also receive money.

A Form 2 student offering some of
her homemade cupcakes for Hari Raya!
During Ramadan, there was still school and regular scheduled classes. It was no surprise to me that my students were very lethargic during the beginning of their fasting month. However, it amazed me how well they functioned by the end of Ramadan. Fasting and not drinking any sort of liquid, including water, in a tropical climate is no easy task. I attempted fasting for the first two days of Ramadan, just to see what my students would be experiencing. On day three, I chose to simply not eat or drink while at school during Ramadan, but after school I would be found gorging on food and drinking my weight in water in our home kitchen.

After my school’s week break for Hari Raya, there was a feast to be found in different areas of the school everyday. The different offices at the school hosted potlucks and teachers would go there to enjoy delicious foods on their breaks. Moreover, my school even hosted a school wide Hari Raya celebration. I was instructed to ‘look beautiful’ and wear my best baju karung. When I arrived at school that day, I saw that everyone definitely looked their best. The students did not even have to wear their uniforms! It was a day filled with music, beautiful clothing and food… lots of food!


The school wide Hari Raya celebration!
There was a large variety of foods.

The school wide Hari Raya celebration! About 900 plus
people gathered in the gymnasium and enjoyed a big meal!

My Form 4 students posing for a thumbs up!
A fellow teacher and I!
Some fun Form 4 students sporting their best attire!
A stand-out student of mine, Syatirah, and I! She was one
of the most outgoing sixteen year olds I have ever met!

My fellow teacher and I at the Hari Raya celebration!
KHAS students and I having fun at the celebration!
Teachers and I enjoying food at the school's
Hari Raya celebration. Everyone wore their best garments!
I was allowed to sit in the men's circle for a photo opportunity.

Students performed songs and poems, in Malay, on stage!
Form 4 students and I hiding in the shade
with smiles on our faces!

Ikan bakar (roasted chicken) at the local Bazaar Ramadan!

Roti tempayan (flat, flaky bread) at the local bazaar!

Pandan cake. It was a moist, soft cake special for Hari Raya.
The green color comes from the infamous Pandan leaf in Malaysia.

The melon stall, home to very fresh watermelon! Sedap (delicious!)

My fellow American friends and I enjoying food from the Bazaar Ramadan in Besut!
We became somewhat comfortable eating on my yoga mat and our home's huge carpet!
They came to Besut just to see our bazaar, as it was known as the best one in northern Terengganu!

3 comments:

  1. You look absolutely beautiful in these pix. Hope you brought some of your clothing home. Have loved reading your blog and being able to share some of your life and experiences this past year. Love ya....Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy up to 50% OFF with 90 Days Free Combo Pack
    We Offer Flat Discount upto 25% on Quarterly & Half Yearly Services + Free Combo Services upto 30 Days & Discount upto 50% on Yearly & Bi-Yearly Services + Free Combo Services Upto 60 Days.
    Grab the Offer selamat hari raya
    For More Info Visit : Venza Research Malaysia

    ReplyDelete